LuciSun is a startup company created in 2019 based in Brussels and Wallonia, Belgium, which provides specialized tools and services for the field of solar photovoltaic (PV) energy and energy meteorology. The company was founded by experts of international influence and participates in industrial and research projects in Belgium, Europe, and around the world.
LuciSun aims to bridge the gap between research and industry by incorporating the latest scientific advances into commercial products and services available to the solar energy sector.
The company specializes in advanced consulting services, simulation tools, data analytics and R&D for the solar energy sector, mostly focusing on photovoltaic (PV) applications. LuciSun offers services to solar energy plant managers, consulting companies, investment entities, and public bodies. These services include energy yield simulation, performance assessment, due diligence, risk assessment, monitoring data analysis, reporting, as well as fault detection and diagnosis. LuciSun also offers training services to solar energy professionals.
LuciSun is actively involved in pioneering research and innovation projects at the national and international levels. LuciSun is currently participating in the H2020 project SERENDI-PV as the leader of Work Package 7: Collaborative modelling & monitoring platform. LuciSun has also led for four years the Work Group 5: PV in grids of the EU COST project Pearl PV. LuciSun is participating in three working groups of the Photovoltaic Power Systems Program (PVPS) of the International Energy Agency (IEA); Task 13: PV system performance, Task 15: BIPV, and Task 16: solar resource. LuciSun will also participate in several other pioneering research projects on agrivoltaics and energy communities to be started in 2023, including a Horizon Europe project.
LuciSun possesses four main lines of activities:
• Luconsult: specialized services for the solar energy industry
• Lusim: advanced simulation tool for solar energy applications
• Lunalytics: data analytics for solar energy monitored data
• Lulab: research, development and innovation for solar energy
We are currently growing, along with the rest of the solar energy sector. Our team is currently composed of 8 team members of 6 different nationalities, and we need reinforcements to support us in the growth of our business.
Our products and services
LuciSun offers specialized consulting services and builds simulation and data analytics products aimed at complex or niche applications in the solar energy sector for which the standard solutions currently available on the market and not fully satisfactory. These applications include:
• Complex shading scenes
• Bifacial PV
• Building integrated Photovoltaics (BIPV)
• Concentrating Photovoltaics (CPV)
• PV self-consumption and energy communities
• PV portfolios
Our products and services developed aim to bring added value in functionalities such as:
• Energy yield assessment
• Detailed calculations of PV energy losses
• Use of solar irradiation long-term time series (not just TMYs)
• Calculation of exceedance probabilities (P50, P90, …).
• Modern finance applied to PV portfolios
• Design and optimization of PV plants
• Batch-mode loop simulations
• Multi-parameter optimization
Lusim is our main solar energy simulation tool. It has originated from our own needs for special simulation capacities that we have encountered over more than 15 years of consulting and research, and that were not fully addressed by the standard software solutions available on the market. Among the most innovative features of our products that are recognized on the solar energy market, our main simulation tool, Lusim, is known for its advanced 3D modelling capabilities, in particular for applications such as complex shading and bifacial PV. Lusim is a tool based on the use of the latest 3D evaluation libraries incorporated into the Graphic Processor Units (GPU) of modern computers. These libraries were developed for the video game industry, but they now appear useful in a variety of other demanding applications where realistic and accurate visualization is important. The achievable spatial resolution is similar to what is possible with backward ray-tracing techniques, but only necessitates a tiny fraction of the latter’s required simulation time. The method behind the use of GPUs for solar energy application is mostly used for the evaluation of complex shading problems and for the evaluation of bifacial irradiance. Overall, the novel approach proposed, Lusim provides a detailed and accurate simulation of the energy yield of various types of PV installations.
Some real-case examples of PV applications simulated with Lusim:
Your role in the company
You will play a crucial role in the development and success of our main application, LUSIM. Working closely with our other developers, you will be responsible for productizing and maintaining the full stack of our application, from the front-end user interface to the back-end databases and servers.
Your main responsibilities will include:
• Designing and implementing new features and functionalities for LUSIM, based on customer feedback and market trends.
• Maintaining and optimizing the performance of the application, ensuring that it runs smoothly and efficiently for our customers.
• Collaborating with the rest of the team to troubleshoot and solve technical issues that might arise.
• Participating in code reviews and contributing to the development of best practices and coding standards.
• Supporting and mentoring junior developers as needed.
As a senior full stack developer, you will bring a wealth of experience and knowledge to the team, and will be expected to take on a leadership role in guiding the development of LUSIM. You will also have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies and to shape the direction of the company as we continue to grow and expand. If you are passionate about solar data analytics and excited about the opportunity to work with a talented, dynamic team, we would love to have you join us at Lucisun
The ideal candidate profile – must haves
• At least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, physics, electronics, mathematics, economics or statistics, or equivalent technical experience. We do care more about the package (experience/personality/skills) than degrees.
• Strong background in software development (5+ years’ experience).
• Experience working in a company building tools and participating in company processes.
• Good knowledge of Python (experience with pandas, numpy, scipy, etc. is a plus).
• Knowledge of Linux and developer experience with Amazon Web Service or any other Cloud Service.
• Devops experience on using container platforms such as Kubernetes, Docker, ECS.
• Experience working with a Git repository manager with issue-tracking and project management features (e.g., Github or Gitlab).
• Ability to participate/lead on the delivery of a SAAS Web app.
• Strong experience with full-stack frontend frameworks for building web applications.
• Fluent in English.
• Good at sharing knowledge sharing with colleagues and at coaching junior team members.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and learn rapidly.
Nice to have skills
• Be able to develop REST APIs (knowledge of Flask is a plus).
• Knowledge of OpenGL, WebGL, shaders or similar rendering technologies (At least 3+ years’ experience working with one of them).
• Basic understanding of logging, metrics and tracing tools.
• Proficient at MySQL and in-memory databases (Redis).
• Understanding of data protection and security measures for handling private data.
What we offer
• Flexible working time and location. If possible, you are ideally expected to be in the office in Brussels for at least 2 days per week. However, this is not mandatory, in particular if you work fully remotely and far from the office.
• We fully trust people who join us to take full ownership on their work and duties.
• You will be fully integrated in our R&D team and you will have opportunities to learn from the rest of the team, about solar energy modelling, development, and other related topics. You will also have the opportunity to take part in large-scale international research projects.
• We offer a competitive salary package, according to your experience.
• If you are based in Belgium, we offer transport reimbursement, phone subscription, hospital insurance, meal vouchers
• In case you work remotely, we do have a compensation system for expenses
• Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org (please send us your CV with a brief an introductory email or motivation letter)
• Office : ICAB Incubator, Rue des Pères Blancs 4, 1040 Brussels, Belgium
• Working schedule : Full time
• Availability : ASAP