LuciSun is a startup company created in 2019 based in Brussels and Wallonia, Belgium, which provides specialized tools and services for the field of solar photovoltaic (PV) energy and energy meteorology. The company was founded by experts of international influence and participates in industrial and research projects in Belgium, Europe, and around the world.
LuciSun aims to bridge the gap between research and industry by incorporating the latest scientific advances into commercial products and services available to the solar energy sector.
The company specializes in advanced consulting services, simulation tools, data analytics and R&D for the solar energy sector, mostly focusing on photovoltaic (PV) applications. LuciSun offers services to solar energy plant managers, consulting companies, investment entities, and public bodies. These services include energy yield simulation, performance assessment, due diligence, risk assessment, monitoring data analysis, reporting, as well as fault detection and diagnosis. LuciSun also offers training services to solar energy professionals.
LuciSun is actively involved in pioneering research and innovation projects at the national and international levels. LuciSun is currently participating in the H2020 project SERENDI-PV as the leader of Work Package 7: Collaborative modelling & monitoring platform. LuciSun has also led for four years the Work Group 5: PV in grids of the EU COST project Pearl PV. LuciSun is participating in three working groups of the Photovoltaic Power Systems Program (PVPS) of the International Energy Agency (IEA); Task 13: PV system performance, Task 15: BIPV, and Task 16: solar resource. LuciSun will also participate in several other pioneering research projects on agrivoltaics and energy communities to be started in 2023, including a Horizon Europe project.
LuciSun possesses four main lines of activities:
• Luconsult: specialized services for the solar energy industry
• Lusim: advanced simulation tool for solar energy applications
• Lunalytics: data analytics for solar energy monitored data
• Lulab: research, development and innovation for solar energy
We are currently growing, along with the rest of the solar energy sector. Our team is currently composed of 8 team members of 6 different nationalities, and we need reinforcements to support us in the growth of our business.
Our products and services
LuciSun offers specialized consulting services and builds simulation and data analytics products aimed at complex or niche applications in the solar energy sector for which the standard solutions currently available on the market and not fully satisfactory. These applications include:
• Complex shading scenes
• Bifacial PV
• Building integrated Photovoltaics (BIPV)
• Concentrating Photovoltaics (CPV)
• PV self-consumption and energy communities
• PV portfolios
Our products and services developed aim to bring added value in functionalities such as:
• Energy yield assessment
• Detailed calculations of PV energy losses
• Use of solar irradiation long-term time series (not just TMYs)
• Calculation of exceedance probabilities (P50, P90, …).
• Modern finance applied to PV portfolios
• Design and optimization of PV plants
• Batch-mode loop simulations
• Multi-parameter optimization
Lusim is our main solar energy simulation tool. It has originated from our own needs for special simulation capacities that we have encountered over more than 15 years of consulting and research, and that were not fully addressed by the standard software solutions available on the market. Among the most innovative features of our products that are recognized on the solar energy market, our main simulation tool, Lusim, is known for its advanced 3D modelling capabilities, in particular for applications such as complex shading and bifacial PV. Lusim is a tool based on the use of the latest 3D evaluation libraries incorporated into the Graphic Processor Units (GPU) of modern computers. These libraries were developed for the video game industry, but they now appear useful in a variety of other demanding applications where realistic and accurate visualization is important. The achievable spatial resolution is similar to what is possible with backward ray-tracing techniques, but only necessitates a tiny fraction of the latter’s required simulation time. The method behind the use of GPUs for solar energy application is mostly used for the evaluation of complex shading problems and for the evaluation of bifacial irradiance. Overall, the novel approach proposed, Lusim provides a detailed and accurate simulation of the energy yield of various types of PV installations.
Some real-case examples of PV applications simulated with Lusim:
Your role in the company
You will lead the consulting activities of LuciSun. You will offer consulting services based on Lusim as well as on the standard tools and methods available on the market. Your role will include:
• Project manager and direct responsible person of the consultancy team.
• Responsible for the quality and timeliness of the project deliveries to the clients.
• Manage and train junior team members for the success of project delivery.
• Improve the internal project procedures and delivery.
• Possess a good grasp of our tool Lusim and offer consulting services based on it.
• Carry out and supervise PV yield assessments, solar resource assessments, contracts and offer writing, Technical Due Diligence, EPC and O&M contract review.
• Collaborate hand in hand with our R&D manager to automate the processes and provide feedback on the market and clients’ needs.
You will participate in the building of processes automation in order to improve internal processes. Your future teammates are heavily investing time and have all the skills necessary to help you automate as many processes as possible. You will be in charge of giving feedback on the market needs in terms of products that can be included in our future SaaS bundle.
The ideal candidate profile – must haves
• At least a bachelor’s degree in an engineering field.
• Very good understanding the basic physical concepts behind solar energy, photovoltaics and solar resource. Your understanding needs to go much beyond the use of modelling tools, and you need to understand the underlying concepts.
• Very good communication skills.
• Relevant experience in the solar energy field (5-10 years’ experience) with a track record and relevant experience either in research, as a developer (or working previously for a developer) or a previous experience in Technical Advisory (TA).
• Proficiency in MS-Office suite.
• Good knowledge of PVsyst.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Nice to have skills
• Knowledge of Python/R.
• Conceptual design verification for PV & storage projects.
• Grid impact studies for PV installations.
• Grid modelling.
• Knowledge of Sketchup or/and other CAD tools.
• Knowledge in GIS.
• Other languages, by order of importance: French, Spanish, Arabic, or others.
What we offer
• Flexible working time and location. If possible, you are ideally expected to be in the office in Brussels for at least 2 days per week. However, this is not mandatory, in particular if you work fully remotely and far from the office.
• We fully trust people who join us to take full ownership on their work and duties.
• You will be fully integrated in our team and you will have opportunities to learn from the rest of the team, about solar energy modelling, development, build amazing network with other people in the PV market. You will also have the opportunity to take part in large-scale international research projects.
• We offer a competitive salary package, according to your experience.
• If you are based in Belgium, we offer transport reimbursement, phone subscription, hospital insurance, meal vouchers
• In case you work remotely, we do have a compensation system for expenses
• Contact : email@example.com (please send us your CV with a brief an introductory email or motivation letter)
• Office : ICAB Incubator, Rue des Pères Blancs 4, 1040 Brussels, Belgium
• Working schedule : Full time
• Availability : ASAP